Here’s how to change the primary monitors on Windows 11/10 if you have a dual monitor setup. There is no need to install any third-party software because the task can be completed through the Windows 10 Settings panel. Dual monitors are very simple to set up in Windows. Everything is possible with Windows Settings, from changing the wallpaper to scaling.
Many people use multiple monitors to boost productivity. If you have a dual monitor setup, you may be aware that after Windows installation, your system can select any monitor as the primary monitor. All of the icons, etc., are displayed on the primary monitor. If you want to change primary monitors in Windows 10, follow these steps.
How do I change my primary monitor Windows 10
1. Change Display settings
- Right-click on an empty space on the Desktop and select Display Settings from the menu that appears.
- Choose which monitor you want to be your primary display, then scroll down and select Make this my primary display.
- The selected monitor will then become the primary monitor.
2. Set Monitor as the main display in the NVIDIA Control Panel
- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Under the Display option, in the left pane, select Set up multiple displays.
- Now, right-click on the display number you want to use as the primary display and select Make primary. It’s worth noting that the display number denoted by an asterisk (*) represents the current monitor.
- Then, press the Apply button.
- Finally, click Yes to confirm.
Changing the primary and secondary monitors in Windows 10 is a simple process. The quickest way is to do it from the Display section of the Settings app, but you can also do it from the Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center.
For Windows 7
To change the primary monitor on a computer running Windows 7 with multiple monitors connected, simply:
- Right-click on an empty space on your Desktop.
- Click on Screen resolution.
- In the area beneath When you change the appearance of your display, all of the computers that are connected to your computer will be visible, each represented as a screen with a number in the center. The monitor with the number 1 in the center is the one that is currently set as your computer’s primary monitor. To select the monitor you want to make your computer’s primary monitor, click on it.
- To enable it, check the box next to the Use this device as the primary monitor option (or the Make this my primary display option, depending on the iteration of Windows you are using) to enable it. This instructs Windows 10 to change the primary display to the monitor you just selected.
5. Click on Apply, and the change you have made to your computer’s display configuration will be applied.
6. Click on OK and close the Screen Resolution window.
How do I switch primary and secondary monitors?
To switch between primary and secondary monitors in Windows 11, press the Win+I key combination. Then, under System > Display, expand the Multiple displays section. Following that, if the Make this my primary display checkbox is grayed out, it means that your selected monitor is the primary monitor. If not, select the desired monitor and check the corresponding checkbox.
How do you change which display is 1 and 2 in Windows 11/10?
In Windows 11/10, open the Windows Settings panel to change or check which display is 1 and 2. To do so, hold down the Win+I keys at the same time. Then, navigate to System > Display and press the Identify button. It shows the number of your monitor on the screen. If you want to change or rearrange the primary monitor, you can use the aforementioned guide or select the monitor and check the Make this my primary display checkbox.
See more useful article at my website densbits.com.